Home / News / Article

Round 7 Match Report: Third time unlucky for Strathclyde Sirens as they fail to clinch the win against Severn Stars

23rd February 2019

Hayley Mulheron thanked the Strathclyde Sirens fans for staying loud and proud despite a first home win remaining elusive for the Glasgow side.

Strathclyde Sirens fell 37-56 to the steely Severn Stars at the Emirates Arena.

And Mulheron, named player of the match, took time to appreciate the support which kept the East End rocking – even at 20 goals down.

She said: “Our fans are the best in the Superleague. They travel from all over Scotland and some even come from England so I want to thank them all.

“Severn Stars are a great team and we’re disappointed but there are things we’re going to work on.”

Q1: Severn goal shooter Georgia Rowe showed signs of her intent with the first goal of the night. Her and her Strathclyde Sirens counterpart Cat Tuivati traded goals early on with Lynsey Gallagher also playing her part. But a couple of turnovers on the offensive end proved costly as goal attack Maryka Holtzhausen and Rowe made Strathclyde Sirens pay up the other end and converted every centre pass that came their way until the seventh minute. Jodi-Ann Ward in the Stars defence made sure Strathclyde Sirens didn’t have that luxury, with a string of interceptions that broke up the Glaswegians’ attacking swagger. Tuivati however managed to convert twice in the last 10 seconds of the quarter to eat into Severn’s lead. 12-18

Q2: Stars were in the ascendency again and Rowe scored twice to put them up by eight goals. Even when faced with excellent defence by Strathclyde Sirens, the South African Holtzhausen was able to connect from long range to keep up their scoring. A missed centre pass had Strathclyde Sirens further behind as the huge reach of Rowe allowed her to collect a pass from her own half. Rowe again picked up her habit of finding the net from every centre pass while her teammates in defence were watertight, keeping Gallagher and substitute Bethan Goodwin at bay as the half came to an end. 20-36

Q3: Strathclyde Sirens tightened up in defence in quarter three but Stars remained strong at the back too, with Ward and Powell-Davies staying sharp to make interceptions. Ella Gibbons returned to the court as goal keeper and her effort forced several missed shots from Severn’s attacking duo. But the Scots just couldn’t get on the scoring run they needed to get back into the game. 29-47

Q4: Rowe proved ruthless in front of the hoop as the visitors began to close out the game. Her reach allowed her to chase down seemingly lost causes and convert them into goals. Tuivati came back into the side for the fourth quarter and did her best to keep the deficit down. Niamh McCall replaced Gallagher for the closing stages and scored twice as the girls showed off the brand of netball they are capable of, but Strathclyde Sirens ended up with too large a mountain to climb.

FINAL: 37-56


Strathclyde Sirens Starting 7: GS Tuivaiti, GA Gallagher, WA McCleery, C Abernethy, WD Maxwell, GD Nicholl, GK Gibbons.