Home / News / Article

Celtic Dragons steal the win against Strathclyde Sirens away from home

13th February 2019

Celtic Dragons burned Strathclyde Sirens during a painful final quarter in a battle at the Emirates Arena on Friday 8th February.

Goal attack Lynsey Gallagher’s tenacious effort in attack and the defensive steel of Ella Gibbons wasn’t enough for Sirens to pick up a second win of the season.

But Sirens captain Claire Maxwell insists that next taste of victory is coming – and singled out Gallagher for special praise.

Maxwell, who was named player of the match, said: “Lynsey is a total workhorse for us. She puts away a large volume of shots under pressure. We’re so grateful she’s on our team.

“We’re disappointed, that was a game we were looking to win. There will be positives when we look back at it but there are certain things we have to do – we will need to score 50 goals to win a game.

“It’s a learning process and you learn more when you lose than when you win so we can grow from the defeat.”


Q1: The sides wasted no time in getting started with Gallagher scoring first for Sirens.

Goal keeper Gibbons showed some early defensive steel, grabbing several rebounds in the first quarter which led to Gallagher scoring up the other end. Gibbons and wing defence Gia Abernethy then forced another two stops that allowed Gallagher and Cat Tuivati to add a goal each.

Dragons’ Trinidadian goal attack Khalifa McCollin showed off her shooting range with a couple of goals from distance. And her goal shooter sidekick Chelsea Lewis was determined to make sure that the awesome Sirens attack wouldn’t be pulling away, converting twice before Gallagher replied with two of her own.

With three seconds of the quarter left, Gallagher scored once again to give Sirens a two-goal lead. 14-12


Q2: McCollin scored the first of the quarter, again showing her impressive range to evade the long limbs of Gibbons, before Lewis tied the game.

Sirens started slowly in the second quarter as the Welsh visitors scored five goals without reply.  But Tuivati eventually got the Glaswegians up and running with two of her own before Gallagher was denied with a flying block from Dragons’ goal keeper Stacian Facey.

Gallagher tied the game before McCollin showed her commitment to the cause by doing the splits to retain possession which led to a goal from Lewis. The two sides remained hard to separate as they both managed to create chances for their prolific attackers.

After a run of two minutes without a goal – a long stretch for this game – Tuivati managed to break the dry spell.

Lewis and McCollin added another two goals for Dragons but great defensive work from Hayley Mulheron ensured they wouldn’t pull in front, with Gallagher scoring twice at the other end instead. Tuivati tried her luck from the edge as time ran out, to no avail. 24-23


Q3: Dragons continued their habit of scoring first in the quarter before Tuivati responded. Three goals from Gallagher had Sirens in a healthy lead but Lewis followed up with four of her own to put Dragons up by one.

Gibbons carried on her great defensive effort from the first half after rebounding from Lewis’ miss. But the Dragons kept coming back as Lewis then went on a terrific scoring run to have the Welsh side up by one goal going into the final quarter. 36-37


Q4: Dragons extended their lead by three at the start of the fourth period. Tuivati hit back with a goal from close range before Lewis scored another two from close in.

Gallagher got her first goal of the final quarter after heavy pressure from the Dragons defence. But Dragons began to pull away late on with Lewis proving deadly from close range and centre Nia Jones pulling the strings with some great passes. The girls from Cardiff led by eight going into the final five minutes.

Beth Goodwin, on in the late stages for Tuivati, scored her first of the game after a great steal by Maxwell in mid-court.

Gallagher then added another two goals to cut into the Dragons’ lead which was followed up by another goal in the final minute from Goodwin. And although Sirens threatened to spark a late comeback, they were kept at bay by an effective Dragons defence.

FINAL: 46-50


Come along and support Strathclyde Sirens at their next match against Severn Stars on Friday 22nd February at 7pm, buy your tickets HERE.