Board Vacancy: Chair of Scottish Sirens
18th September 2017
Who we are:
Scottish Sirens Ltd, operating as Sirens, are Scotland’s only, semi-professional female sports club who have competed in the UK wide, televised, Vitality Netball Superleague since 2017.
We are looking for a visionary leader to head up our established Board of dynamic and highly skilled Directors in this, our second year of operating.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be a part of something ground-breaking in women’s sport in Scotland. Working alongside a highly impassioned and exceptionally skilled Board of Directors, as well as a rapidly growing National Governing Body, the Sirens is a pioneering concept that aims to deliver significant long-term results both on and off the court.
As Chairperson, you will be integral to developing the strategy and proposition that will help to shape the future landscape of netball in Scotland in line with Netball Scotland’s Strategic Plan, Polaris, as well as contribute to driving meaningful change for women’s sport.
An inspiring and motivational leader, with experience in chairing Boards, you must possess the ability to think strategically and challenge pragmatically, in addition, have first rate communication and negotiation skills are essential as you will be a key figurehead for the Sirens. This role requires an individual who can think big, make sound decisions, make things happen and give appropriate advice to ensure the commercial success of the Organisation.
There are usually six bi-monthly Board meetings in a calendar year which will align with the Netball Scotland Board meetings to drive streamlined and coordinated reporting. Each Director’s commitment is approx. 4/6 hours per month, but this can vary depending on time of year or League demands.
Board meetings are usually held at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow, between 6pm and 8pm on a weeknight. The day is flexible due to the Sirens Team’s training commitments and competition schedule.
The post is voluntary and therefore non-remunerated, although reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed according to Sirens’ policies and procedures.
Accountability: – Chair of Netball Scotland Board
- To promote and oversee the highest standards of corporate governance within the Board and the Organisation.
- To set an agenda for the Board which is:
- focused on strategic matters;
- forward looking;
- evaluates and oversees current business.
- To maintain a proper process to ensure compliance with Board policy on matters reserved to the Board for consideration.
- To ensure that Board members receive accurate, timely and clear information.
- To manage Board meetings, including setting the Agenda, so that sufficient time is allowed for the discussion of complex or contentious issues and that all Directors’ contributions are encouraged and valued.
- To chair, serve on or attend Committees of the Board (where necessary).
- To maintain an effective and balanced team, initiate change and plan non-executive Director succession.
- To be a sounding board and mentor to the Franchise Director.
- Maintain knowledge of the organisation and personal commitment to its goals and objectives.
Any other specific details/requirements for this vacancy:
- An Interest in, or passion for, sport is preferable but not essential.
- Experience as a Chair and/or Director, Trustee or Committee Member of either a commercial, voluntary or public-sector context
- Established reputation as a leader and strategic thinker in either a commercial, voluntary or public-sector context.
- Ability to build and maintain strong, transparent relationships with key stakeholders
- Experience of public speaking and representing the organisation to stakeholders and the media.
Terms and Conditions:
As stated in Sirens Articles of Association, the Chairperson may hold office for a maximum term of two years, with the option to stand for re-election at the expiry of that two-year period. The Chairperson is eligible to serve a maximum of three terms, i.e. six years in total.
An Expression of Interest letter or email should be submitted by the closing date of 13/10/17 with a summary CV and cover letter outlining your motivation and interest in this position to:
Sirens Franchise Director, Karen McElveen, Emirates Arena,1000 London Road, Glasgow G40 3HY.
You may also contact Karen McElveen, Sirens Franchise Director, at the above email address if you wish to arrange an informal discussion, via email or phone, regarding this position with the Chair of Netball Scotland, Caroline Mansley, before submitting your expression of interest.
Please note: This vacancy is not open to anyone who has been disqualified from holding a Directorship in a Limited Company.